"I have had the unique opportunity of wearing various hats throughout my time with the Show: performer (2012-2015), assistant producer (2015) and President of Charites and Communities (2015-2016). It was an honour to help the Student Show 'Michty Mia' achieve a record-breaking fundraising total of over £102,000, by helping the students find rehearsal space, putting them in touch with sponsors, and backing their corner whenever they needed it!"
Holly Bruce, Performer and Producer, 2012-15
In addition ti writers, there are a hale jing-bang o’ different roles that need ti be filled ti ensure each Student Show is a success, including those o’ producer, director, administrator, costume designer, choreographer, musical director an’ props manager (an’ mair).
Although maist o’ the team are students, aften 'i shows are producit by former Show writers an’ performers fa hivna been able tae leave their luv o’ Show ahin them!
Students fae 'i University o’ Aiberdeen, Robert Gordon University an' North East Scotland College aa tak part the day.
In addition to writers, there are a whole host of different roles that need to be filled to ensure the Student Show is a success, including those of producer, director, administrator, costume designer, choreographer, musical director, props manager, and many more.
Although most of the Student Show team are students, often the shows are produced by former writers and performers who have never managed to leave their love of Show behind.
Students from the University of Aberdeen, Robert Gordon University and North East Scotland College all take part today.
Keep scrolling to see a few (but by no means all) of the most vital roles in Show! Which one would you be right for?
- Co-ordinating the writing and editing process
- Developing ideas and providing creative direction
- Overseeing casting
- Budgeting and scheduling
- Lots of other stuff
- Hardworking (never sleeps)
- A good motivator
- Experience of the Student Show highly desirable
- Booking the theatre and rehearsal spaces
- Overseeing ticket sales
- Generally organising everyone and everything!
- Excellent attention to detail
- Adaptable and good at problem solving
- VERY organised
- Help develop the creative vision for Show
- Determine how the Show's script can be brought to life on stage
- Give clear direction to the cast and crew
- A vivid imagination and a comedic mind
- Good understanding of stage directions
- Not afraid to take the reins and show the actors who's boss
- Creating dance routines to complement and enhance the Show's music and lyrics
- Teaching the routines to the whole cast
- An ear for music and excellent rhythm
- Creative approach to developing routines
- An aptitude for teaching
- Extremely patient!
The Set Designer
- Developing a creative vision for the production
- Building the sets using materials such as furniture and props
- Painting and decorating the sets
- Inventive and creative
- Strong communication skills
- Health and safety conscious
- Excellent balance
- Taking measurements of each cast member
- Designing the costumes
- Gathering and choosing appropriate materials
- Managing a team and overseeing with the dressmaking process
- Excellent sewing skills
- Experience of working to a tight budget
- Good leader and motivator
- Writing music and lyrics for the show
- Helping singers rehearse by providing instrumental accompaniment
- Performing in the show's orchestra
- Songwriting skills
- Ability to play multiple instruments
- Able to perform under pressure
The stars of Show are found through an audition process that is designed to be welcoming, relaxed and enjoyable for those auditioning. Anyone can audition for Show, whether they have experience of performing or not.
Often, the cast also get involved with other tasks, like painting the sets, creating props, sewing costumes, and promoting the Show in order to raise as much money as possible for charity.
- Acting, singing and dancing in Show!
- Pitching in with whatever else needs doing
- Enjoys showing off