Communion Cup Cup

Dublin Core

Title

Communion Cup Cup

Identifier

ABDUA:17626

Description

Silver communion cup made by W Melville of Aberdeen in 1652 and given to Marischal College in 1653 by George Gordon of Strathnaver. It is engraved with a floriate design around the coat of arms of Lord Strathnaver on the front and the reverse, each one surmounted with a crest. The base is also engraved with a floriate design. Around the rim is engraved the following dedication: 'D Georgius Gordonius Strathnaverinae Dominus, hoc poculum in educationis et amoris tesseram Collegio Marescallano donavit, Anno 1653'.
Inscription: D Georgius Gordonius Strathnaverinae Dominus, hoc poculum in educationis et amoris tesseram Collegio Marescallano donavit, Anno 1653

Date

Early: 1652 Late: 1653

Format

metal silver, H: 232 mm Dia(rim): 112 mm

Type

Physical Object

Coverage

Europe, Scotland, North East Scotland, Aberdeen Aberdeenshire

Provenance

Acquisition Source: Strathnaver Lord